Monday, August 15, 2011

Infants ate no Honey

DID YOU KNOW? Infants under 1 year of age should not eat honey.
Honey may contain Clostridium botulinum spores that can cause infant botulism - a rare but serious disease that affects the nervous system of young babies (under one year of age). C. botulinum spores are present throughout the environment and may be found in dust, soil and improperly canned foods. Adults and children over one year of age are routinely exposed to, but not normally affected by, C. botulinum spores. Honey is safe to consume during pregnancy and lactation. While infants are susceptible to the infant botulism, adults, including pregnant females, are not. The concern for babies stems from the fact that infants lack the fully developed gastrointestinal tract of older humans.
Many thanks to the National Honey Board USA for this information from their article
'Why can’t I feed honey to my baby less than 1 year of age?'

Bees Hive Beezine and Baby Bees House for more info about bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and I visit your site cause I am curious to find out who you are.